This is the official community for the Robert Sean Leonard Birthday Charity Drive, in honor of RSL's 39th birthday and to benefit Broadway Cares/Equity Fights AIDS (BC/EFA).
Why we are: What started as a joke between a couple of fans regarding the upcoming birthday of Robert Sean Leonard somehow snowballed into the idea that maybe we should actually combine our meager powers for the forces of good.
What we are: We're a group of House fans who decided to show our appreciation for the work of one of our favorite actors in a way we think he would appreciate and, most importantly, in a way that benefits others.
* to mobilize the unique abilities within the entertainment industry to mitigate the suffering of individuals affected by HIV/AIDS.
* to ensure direct support specifically through the social services and programs of the Actors' Fund to all individuals in the entertainment industry affected by critical health issues, including but not limited to HIV/AIDS.
* to support organizations across the country which provide treatment or services for people specifically affected by HIV/AIDS and their families.
* to increase national and international public awareness and understanding of HIV/AIDS through the creation and dissemination of educational materials and the provision of support thereof.
* to promote and encourage public support for programs and services which benefit people living with HIV/AIDS.
* to facilitate the fundraising capabilities specifically of the theatre community, in order to address and support an urgent crisis or need in the name of the theatre community, as directed by the board of trustees.
Why this cause: Robert Sean Leonard is a longtime supporter of BC/EFA and serves on the Artists' Committee for the Broadway Cares/Equity Fights AIDS program The Actors' Fund, which serves those in film, theatre, television, music, opera, and dance with a broad spectrum of programs including comprehensive social services, health services, supportive and affordable housing, emergency financial assistance, employment and training services, and skilled nursing and assisted living care.
How to donate: It's very easy, and you deal directly with the charity.
You can then either "Join Robert Sean Leonard Birthday Drive" (which will prompt you to register for free with the site) or, if you want to enter all your information easily on one page without registering first, click "Make a Gift" next to the RSL Birthday Drive thermometer. The FAQ goes into more detail.
You will get a confirmation e-mail from BC/EFA after your donation is processed. Payments accepted: NEW! Also accepting personal checks: see the FAQ.
Note: None of us coordinators will have access to your billing information nor will we be handling any funds. Your information and money is going directly to BC/EFA, who are keeping track of the total. The minimum donation is $5.
Who is this RSL guy, anyway?:Robert Sean Leonard is a native of New Jersey who made his stage debut at the age of twelve and his Broadway debut at age seventeen as the lead in Neil Simon's Brighton Beach Memoirs. At nineteen, he starred in the Oscar winning film Dead Poets Society (1989). A veteran of over a dozen Broadway plays, he was Tony Award nominated for his performances in George Bernard Shaw's Candida (1993) and Eugene O'Neill's Long Day's Journey into Night (2003). He won the 2001 Tony Award and the Outer Critics Circle Award for best performance by a featured actor in a play for his portrayal of A.E. Housman in Tom Stoppard's The Invention of Love. Currently he plays everyone's favorite sarcastic oncologist Dr. James Wilson on the Emmy and Peabody Award-winning drama series House.
If you have any further questions, please see the FAQ, the community posts, the E-mail link above, or contact one of the coordinators: poorfrances, cutthroatpixie, or nuclearfootball. Don't forget to friend this community to receive updates!